Monday, June 17, 2013

Summer salads!

Well, as far as picnics go I'm right with you about the baskets. They really can be pretty darn pricey. Especially if in our case a fairly heavy toddler could crash it to tinder at any moment. We could easily have a very short-lived picnic season. So, the old red and white cooler will have to do. 
One of my most favorite salads is an apple salad we used to make with apples from our front yard trees when I was a kid. 

Depending on the number you are serving this salad can easily be adapted. 
You will need: 
1) Apples (2-3 large). Its fun to experiment with any variety but my favorite for this salad is the Braeburn. It has a nice amount of acidity without being tart. 
2) plain yogurt (i prefer Greek for the creaminess). 
3) Honey. I really like buckwheat honey but its all good. 
4) Dates. Chopped and dried. 
5) Walnuts. About a 1/2 to 3/4 up or down depending on your liking. 
6) Shredded dried cocoanut. About the same amount as dates and walnuts. 

Chop the apples into bit size chunks. Add them with the yogurt to a mixing bowl. Add honey a bit at a time until the yogurt has a very slight yellow tint. I like slightly less honey. Maybe a quarter cup. 
Next stir in dates, walnuts, and shredded cocoanut. Toss together until all ingredients are coated with the yogurt and honey mixture. Their should be enough yogurt to create a nice generous coating to the apples without leaving much behind at the bottom of the bowl. 
And there you go! 



1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! The ingredient that surprised me was the coconut. I'm really curious to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete